Canada to tell Story of Us
Canadian pubcaster CBC has commissioned the latest version of epic docu-drama format The Story of Us.
Bristow Global Media will produce the 10x60mins Canada: The Story of Us, with a 2017 airdate pencilled in as part of a slate of original shows that will celebrate the country’s 150th birthday.
Since History commissioned Jane Root’s prodco Nutopia to produce America: The Story of US six years ago, there have been Australian, European and UK version, plus an adaptation, Mankind: The Story of Us.
Formats rights holder Nutopia will be involved in the Canadian version, with Root and Ben Goold among the executive producers.
Former high-ranking Discovery Networks International and Nutopia exec Phil Craig will also executive produce, along with BGM founder and former CBC programming chief Julie Bristow and Claire Adams. Marlo Miazga and Janice Tufford co-executive produce for BGM.
The series will tell the story of Canada’s history through the people, places and events that shaped it, looking at the influence of its indigenous peoples, immigrants, pioneers, scientists and others. It will include fact-based drama sequences, CG animation and interviews with prominent Canadians.
Renowned Canadian historian and author John English and Indigenous Studies educator Gerald McMaster are primary consultants, with several notable Canadian scholars also providing historical expertise.
Lead producer BGM is three-years-old, and has produced shows such as NHL Revealed: A Season Like No Other for CBC, NBCSN and Rogers; Pressure Cookerand Hockey Wives for W Network; and Pardon My French for YouTube.
The show will comprise part of CBC’s Canadian anniversary celebrations, with other shows including a digital-first series called Becoming Canadian from Antica Productions and Entertainment One, and an adventure format titled La Grande Traversée from Les Productions Rivard and Zone 3.
True North Calling comes from Proper Television, while Extraordinary Canadiansfrom PMA Productions. There will also be a DHX Media-produced This Hour Has 22 Minutes special, and Stanley Volland: De Compostelle À Kuujjuak, a two-part miniseries from Nova Média.
You Might Also Like:
- CBC’s CANADA: THE STORY OF US BRINGS A NATION’S HISTORY TO LIFE STARTING MARCH 26
- Bristow Global Media Appoints Founder and Former President of Newroad Media, Marlo Miazga, as Vice-President of Content
- SET VISIT: CANADA: THE STORY OF US
- Canada begins telling Story of Us
- CBC Commissions Canada: The Story of Us
- BRISTOW GLOBAL MEDIA ANNOUNCES PRODUCTION OF CANADA: THE STORY OF US
- CBC rolls out Canada 150 programming plans
- Bell Fund distributes $5.4M across 30 projects
- “Life In A Day,” “Story of Us” formats head to Canada
- Bristow Global Media Inc. Signs Partnership with The CCMA® to Produce the CCMA Awards